Monday, January 28, 2008

More RAID Stuff

I continued my RAID research and it looks like RAID 1+0 or 10 is looking better and better. It appears RAID 5 is processor intensive compared with RAID 1+0 due to parity calculations. A good comparison chart of the different RAID levels was found at The PC Guide. In fact The PC Guide had lots of good information about numerous topic.

I will still look at RAID 5 but I want to move onto the Software vs. Hardware RAID issue. This could be a contributing factor on what RAID solution is ultimately chosen. It appears many think hardware RAID is the way to go but many in the open source community think software RAID is better.

Some articles I need to read:

Linux Software RAID Vs. Hardware RAID

Monitoring and Managing Linux Software RAID

No comments: