Monday, March 3, 2008

List Fodder

I have been tinkering with a few potential solutions and have narrowed the list down further. I have pretty much decided to go with VMware as virtualization solution. I findly found some good tutorials on its use and have been using it sucessfuly. I also got somewhat scared of using VirtualBox as a solution on a production server based on some comments I heard on the Linux Outlaws Podcast and comment posted on various support forums. I also have to wonder what the Sun acquistion of InnoTek will mean for VirtualBox in the coming months.

I am torn becase VirtualBox is open source while VM is propritory code....

I am more intrested in PBX In A Flash based on a blog post over at Poor Man's Tech. I was aware of the trixbox phone home flap and that issue left a bad taste in my mouth fueling desires to find an alternative. (I am a current trixbox user)

I have not even looked at the HTPC solutions but hope to narrow the list soon.

I have added Debian as the basis for a potential file server and maybe more after reading some information posted at
About Debian Linux

Going to put security on hold right now until other solutions are narrowed down.

No comments: